Call Today! (888) 863-4111
Schedule A Free Phone Consultation Click Here

Conservatorships for Aging Adults or Special Needs Persons

Taking care of those in need.

What is a Conservatorship?

When an infirm adult is unable to provide safe and effective self-care, another person must step in. A conservatorship is a court proceeding in which the responsible people are given the authority and power to act on behalf of an infirm or developmentally disabled adult. Depending on the state, they may also be called living probates.

The conservator of an estate manages the income and assets of the conservatee and pays his or her bills. It is possible for the conservator of the person and estate to be the same person or they can be separate people. Generally, conservatorships in California are established for one of two reasons:

A disabled child turns eighteen but is incapable of managing his or her affairs. For some persons with developmental disabilities and physical disabilities, a limited conservatorship may be appropriate. For others, a general conservatorship is more appropriate. Call our office at (888) 596-3590 if you want to schedule an appointment to discuss a conservatorship for your adult disabled child.

An elderly person needs assistance with the management of his or her personal and/or financial affairs. Sometimes where the elderly person has been diagnosed with dementia or Alzheimer’s Disease, special dementia powers dealing with the administration of medications or placement in a memory care assisted living facility may be appropriate.

Doctor helping elder patient

What is the difference between a guardianship and conservatorship?

A conservatorship is different from a guardianship. A conservatorship is established for an adult, and a guardianship is established for a child. Guardianships are court processes that appoint someone to manage the personal or financial affairs of a disabled or elderly person. In California however, guardianships are used only for minors. For adults, a conservatorship of the person allows the conservator (the person appointed by the court to manage personal affairs) to assist the conservatee (a disabled or adult person).

If you are considering guardianship or a conservatorship of a parent or loved one in your life, it is imperative that you consult with an experienced conservatorship attorney. With the help of our attorneys, you can navigate the process and ensure the best interests of your vulnerable loved one are protected. Contact us today for a free consultation.

Conservatorship for Special Needs Persons

Southern California special needs estate planning attorney Dennis M. Sandoval is a proud member of the Special Needs Alliance, a national organization of estate planning attorneys who specialize in planning, drafting and administering Special Needs Trusts.

Let’s see how can we help you with a conservatorship?

Complete the form below and we'll reach out to you as soon as possible to discuss your matter.

Rather give us a call?

(888) 596-3590


National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys, Inc. | Dennis M. Sandoval
National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys, Inc. | Dennis M. Sandoval
National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys, Inc. | Dennis M. Sandoval
National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys, Inc. | Dennis M. Sandoval
National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys, Inc. | Dennis M. Sandoval
Dennis M. Sandoval
Rated by Super Lawyersloading ...